The Clothes Line history
The Women’s Auxiliary of Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC founded the Clothes Line in 1937. The store has moved locations three times in Pittsburgh migrating from the Shadyside area to Highland Ave., and finally to the present location on Liberty Ave. in Bloomfield.
The Women’s Auxiliary of Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC
The Women’s Auxiliary, established in 1937, has more than 40 volunteers. The auxiliary is interested in meeting the changing needs throughout Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC. They support projects raising funds to advance women’s health research and patient care.
Members of the auxiliary volunteer more than 2,600 hours each year. They continue to fund programs and projects that are most compatible with the Auxiliary's ideals and goals.
Currently, the Auxiliary sponsors the Baby Picture Program. The Clothes Line, a project of the Auxiliary, offers gently worn women's and children's clothing, along with jewelry, household items, books, and more at their resale shop in Bloomfield.
The group received the Elisabeth B. McCullough Award in 2006 in recognition of their longstanding Clothes Line project. The award highlighted their ongoing commitment to the hospital, and its demonstrated remarkable energy, dedication, and success in fundraising for Magee.
The group also funds the Patient Diversional Activity Program and has contributed to major hospital initiatives such as the expansion of Magee-Womens Research Institute, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit renovation, and equipment upgrades in the Scott L. Williams, MD Breast Care Center.
For more information about the Women’s Auxiliary of Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC, please call 412-641-8977.